The Departmental Progressive Club, Incorporated, was organized on September 27, 1927.
It was formed to provide wholesome recreation for its membership and support to other community groups concerned with improving the general welfare of Alexandria. The original founding fathers were: Jessie Carter, Lawrence Day, Clarence Greene, Raymond Green,
Booker T. Harper, Jesse Pollard, and Samuel Reynolds. Since they were all employees in various departments of the Federal Government, they named the newly established organization the Departmental Progressive Club.
Today's membership consists of distinguished individual’s representative of practically all walks of life. Citizens of the entire Washington Metropolitan area, the members and others, share in the contributions, development, and growth of the Departmental Progressive Club, Incorporated. Activities sponsored annually by the Departmental Progressive Club, Incorporated include a wide variety of events such as: Blood Donor Programs, Community Outreach, Formal Dances, Group Worships, Black History Programs, Etc.
The primary objectives of the Departmental Progressive Club, Incorporated are: "the creation of wholesome recreation, the encouragement of good character, and the fostering of fellowship among its members".
We are hopeful that in the years to come our club will continue to be an organization worthy of the interest and respect of our loyal friends and supporters.
The immortal words of John Ruskin clearly define the Club's mission in the past and for generations yet unborn:
"Therefore, when we build, let us think that we build forever. Let it not be for present delight, nor for present use alone. Let it be such work as our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, 'See, this our fathers did for us”.